Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Breaking Point

I’ve written before that there is no such thing as “half-faith.” I believe that 100%. In order to believe we have to believe in full. However, I have never meant to say that faith has to be free from all doubt. That might sound contradictory but listen; faith is an action not just a thought process.

I am currently in Michigan for several clinics. The other day I had two groups. In the morning, I had a younger group. In the afternoon, I had a high school group. To no surprise, the younger group was full of faith – future college and NBA players. The older group had maybe two players aspiring for the college level.

Now, if I turned back the clock on those older kids they would have looked just like that younger group – full of “faith.” What happened? Some were just not gifted enough, but I think most just never really believed at all.

My goal is to show players how to get what they want. I will never tell anyone they can’t! I will just tell them how hard their journey will be. Inevitably, however, once I show them how to get what they want, many will either not want it anymore or they will no longer believe they can have it anymore. When I asked that younger group the same questions at the end of the camp, fewer hands went up. That’s okay. Those players, even at a very young age, either decided they were not willing to work so hard, or they decided they would never be good enough. I’m okay with that because it only reveals the level of their faith. Doubts can only do two things – reveal the weakness of your faith or the strength of your faith. When the first is revealed, that is always the breaking point of any dream.

When a person has faith, they make a decision that something is true, something is real, something is going to happen. No doubts can shake that kind of faith. When I talk about “half-faith” I’m not talking about your thoughts. I’m talking about your heart. Your heart has to be undivided on an issue. If you have a dream, your heart does not compromise. Once a heart becomes split, that is half-faith and is not faith at all.

I want you to know that you are allowed to have doubts. I want you to understand that doubts are going to enter your mind. Don’t question your faith because of doubts, because it’s what you do with them that truly matter. Faith is acting DESPITE all doubts. And every time you act despite your doubts, your faith will only grow stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment