Saturday, August 15, 2009

How Much is Enough?

Players are constantly emailing me asking how much time they should be putting in the gym, so I want to try to touch on that question.

Before I do, let me talk about the time I put in: Summer between Junior year and senior year in high school: 8 hours per day

First two years of college (Off-season): 4 hours per day

Last two years of college (Off-season) 3 hours per day

Professional: 2 hours per day

Now, that 8 hours per day I put in in high school was important. That experience taught me HOW to train, but the best training I ever put in was the 2 hours per day I put in the gym during my professional years. How is that? I learned how to maximize my time, cover more skills, and get more out of each minute. That is why we always say, “it’s not what you do, its what you emphasize.” People are always so worried about time. But that’s not what its all about. We have to be careful when we make training all about minutes and seconds. Many times I think players ask about time, so they can do just enough to be good. Never do just enough to get by. The basic guideline is this: Do everything you can, each and every day you can do it. Rest is important, and balance is important. But each and every person knows if they are truly giving their all. So for all you players wondering about time. Don’t stress. Just give it your all!

No comments:

Post a Comment