Saturday, August 15, 2009

Don't Give Labels, Give Direction

As a skill development trainer, my job is to build up a player. That means I have to locate bad habits and correct them, but also locate negative thought patterns and spin them positive. The habits are easy, the thoughts are the challenge. A negative coach can make it nearly impossible at times.

Author Brian Biro wrote, “As we communicate our expectations of others, we influence their expectation of themselves.” I get so frustrated when I hear a kid say, “I’m not supposed to” when I’m trying to teach them a necessary skill. Basically, all they are really saying is somone doesn’t believe in me, whether that someone is their parents or coaches. Here’s the deal. If we don’t believe in our players, most will never believe in themselves.

I’m talking kids at young ages that already believe they will NEVER be fast enough, big enough, athletic enough, smart enough, or coordinated enough to master this skill or that skill. Coaches, we can help make your players better. We are some of the best at what we do. But don’t forget the part you play in their long-term development.

A good leader doesn’t give lables, LEADERS GIVE DIRECTION. If a small kid is getting his shots blocked around the basket, don’t tell him not to drive in against the trees, Don’t tell him he “can’t.” Show him how he can have success. How can he manuever around the basket? How can he be more creative, more ambidetrous? If a kid has a bad shot, we shouldn’t tell him not to shoot. Give direction. What adjustments should be made with his form? Can he/she get in more repetition? THEN COMMUNICATE YOUR EXPECTATION THAT THEY BECOME A GREAT SHOOTER! To me, that’s what coaching is all about!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment