Saturday, August 15, 2009

Emotional Toughness is Mental Toughness

If you don’t think your attitude is important, check this out. “Medical researchers say that, when a person becomes angry, the anger has a negative effect on the human body and can actually shut down the immune system for about six hours. A person who is continually angry can shut down the natural defense system in their body for hours or for days.”

How does this relate to the court? I don’t know. But this is what I do know. If an attitude can have this kind of effect on your body, imagine the effect it has on your game!

Learning humility the hard way

I remember like it was yesterday a time I really let my emotions get the best of me. I was in high school, training and working on my game. I had a basket to myself, but the gym was relatively crowded. My shot was OFF. My handles were shaky. It was just one of those days. And I was frustrated with myself. So in a moment of frustration I spiked the ball on the gym floor as hard as I could. You may have done something like this before. Have you ever thrown or kicked a ball? Well, I never would have thought anything of it either, except that in my moment of frustration the ball came back up and hit me in the nose. An entire gym got to see me give myself a bloody nose because I couldn’t handle my emotions.

Fortunately, I grew up and learned. And I only tell this story, because since then I’ve learned that this may be one of the most important qualities an athlete needs. From that moment on, I learned the importance of being superior to my emotions. I learned to keep a level head, no matter the situation. Nothing ever paid off more. When the game is on the line, and you are the one taking the last shot, will you have a clear mind? Will you be in control? Do you have control of your attitude?

You want some playing time? Learn the importance of attitude. Obviously, you’re not getting in the game without some skill and ability, but if you want to play in crunch time…master your emotions. Coaches are always looking for mental toughness. GO GET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment