Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Greatness of Perception

Perception is greater than reality. That is worth repeating again. Perception is greater than reality. In fact, I truly believe that in most cases, your perception of your present circumstances will determine your future reality.

Lou Holtz tells a great story. His Arkansas team was a huge underdog about to play in the Orange Bowl against a Oklahoma team favored to win the national championship. On top of that, Holtz had just suspended three of his best offensive players for disciplinary reasons.

Before the game, Holtz chose an approach we can all learn from. He sat his team down and asked them to list off every positive they could about their team and list off every possible reason they COULD win the game. Instead of allowing his team to focus on their present circumstances, and on the reality that the media focused on, he changed his team’s perception to the positive. They won the game 31-6!

Limitations?

As basketball players, we have to focus on what we have, not on what we don’t. Personally, if I would have focused on my lack of height, strength, and natural athleticism, I would have failed. Fortunately, I learned very early that I needed to focus on what I did have if I wanted any chance to be successful.

See, I don’t believe in limitations. Only perception. Look at Mugsy Bogues, Earl “the Squirrel” Boykins. Nate Robinson. 5′3. 5′5. 5′9. Just the fact that these players made it to the NBA proves that more “undersized” players can do it as well. But they have to possess the perception that these players have. They have to truly believe and turn that belief into action and hard work. What is “undersized’ anyway? Simple. It’s a perception. Somehow I don’t think Nate Robinson considers himself that way. I think he lists at as a positive.

Now, I talk a lot on the topic of height because of my personal experience. But this is true for everything. First, locate your limitations. Then run towards them. More times than not, you will learn they no longer exist!

No comments:

Post a Comment