Saturday, August 15, 2009

Making Your Spin Move More Effective

I understand why coaches tend to sway players away from using spin moves and I know why players are nervous about spinning in games. A predictable spin move is an easy trap and steal for a defense. But if you would allow me, I would like to convince you why you need a spin in your game.

A post move off the dribble

Obviously, post players often play with their back to the basket. As we saw with Karl Malone in the finals against the bulls, this can be dangerous as Michael Jordan stole the ball away before he hit the game winner. But we will never tell post players to stop posting because of this risk. The same should be true of the spin move.
Basically, a great spin move around the basket or in the paint, is a post move on the run. It’s a great way to use your back to create space and a great way for guards to become post players as they drive. Being 5′9, I rarely posted up, but off the dribble I virtually became a post threat often using a baby hook or up and under move after a spin.

Protecting the ball

If a spin move is done correctly, as demonstrated in the video below, I believe it can be a great way to get to where you want to get on the court while protecting the basketball. I often used a spin to split defenders without worrying about being stripped because I could keep the ball in private property away from the defenders. Also, elbows can be used to demand space while spinning.

Be unpredictable

Players. you must be unpredictable on the basketball court. There are many ways to do this. Changing speeds, hesitations, ball fakes, and jabs are common ways. However, a spin move adds something special. If a player can spin at any moment, a defender must always be ready for that spin. That means every time you hesitate or change speeds, they must be prepared for the spin.

I know as a small, undersized player, the spin move was as good as a weapon as any other move I had. I know it can do the same for you! For more information watch the You Tube video below.



No comments:

Post a Comment